Shop Foreman/Diesel Level 1 Technician
This position’s primary responsibility is to oversee our heavy-duty vehicle repair and maintenance garage’s daily activities. The successful candidate ensures proper performance, safety, and accountability of the maintenance team in the timely, successful repair of customers’ equipment. The Shop Foreman will be a hands-on position.
The successful candidate will be a trained and experienced Level IV Diesel Technician. This position reports to the General Manager. They are second-in-command for the service center and its operations.
Central Maine Truck & Trailer Service (CMTTS) operates a modern three-bay maintenance facility in Hermon, Maine. It handles repair and service requests for all makes and models of light, medium, heavy-duty trucks, trailers, and equipment. CMTTS provides maintenance service to both an internal fleet under ownership and external customers and fleets, including many local and regional businesses.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assigns all vehicle repairs to Diesel Technicians and oversees repairs while diagnosing and handling repairs directly.
- Performs general overhaul and repair of vehicles in the shop or at off-site locations.
- Assists Diesel Technicians in diagnosing the cause of any malfunction and performs general repairs to the manufacturer’s specifications, including engines (gasoline, diesel, and propane-powered), transmissions and clutches, suspension and steering, fuel and ignition, electrical systems, brakes, and HVAC systems.
- Assures a valid Repair Order (RO) is written and remains with the vehicle as repairs are being completed.
- Reviews and signs off on all RO’s upon completion of work. Tests for quality assurance as needed.
In Conjunction with General Manager and Service Writer:
- Establishes preventive maintenance and care schedules for internal and external fleets.
- Arranges contract repairs when work cannot be performed in the shop.
- Assures adequate inventory of parts and supplies is maintained and accounted for.
- Ensures inspections and preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment are properly conducted to maximize the unit’s safety, productivity, and life.
- Operates vehicles and equipment to aid in diagnostics.
- Picks up and delivers vehicles and parts.
- May require a Class A license.
- Ensures that customers’ vehicles are kept clean and washed after the repair is completed.
- Participates in and conducts qualified company-sponsored training with the goal of continued education and industry knowledge for all Diesel Technicians on staff.
- Assures all personnel contributes to the maintenance and upkeep of the physical building.
- Ensures that the shop and equipment are kept clean, orderly, and presentable.
- Ensures team complies with all company policies and procedures.
- Follows all safety protocols.
- Reports potential or existing safety concerns to the General Manager or Safety Manager.
- Manages and participates in on-call schedule and road-side service calls.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education, Experience & Knowledge Requirements
- Heavy-duty truck (HDT) technical training
- 5+ years of related experience with at least two years of supervisory experience
- State Inspection License
- Current valid CDL-A strongly preferred
- Interpersonal Skills
- Customer service-oriented
- Proven problem solving and analytical abilities
Work is performed primarily in a maintenance shop environment. Occasional fieldwork with some travel from site to site. Exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, and all types of weather and temperature conditions.
Exposure to hazardous traffic conditions work. Walk on various types of surfaces, including slippery, uneven surfaces, and rough terrain. Employees may be required to work extended hours, including scheduled and unscheduled evenings and weekends.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a mechanic shop environment. Must be able to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time. Frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, and twist.
Push, pull, lift, or carry moderate to heavy amounts of weight up to 75 lbs. Operate assigned equipment and vehicles. Verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision must be in the normal visual range with or without correction. Hearing in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Job Type: Full-time
Submit Your Resume!
To submit your resume for this position, please fill out the required information below, attach your resume, and then click Submit!
Please note that this is only the first stage of the application process and is in no way a guarantee of employment.