The primary responsibility of this position is to help oversee the daily activities of our heavy duty vehicle repair and maintenance garage to ensure proper performance, safety, and accountability of the maintenance team in the timely and successful repair of customers’ equipment. The Shop Foreman will be a hands-on position and the successful candidate will be a trained and experienced Level IV Diesel Technician. This position reports to the General Manager and is second-in-command for the service center and its operations.
Central Maine Truck & Trailer Service (CMTTS) operates a modern 3-bay maintenance facility in Hermon, Maine that can handle repairs and service requests for all makes and models of light, medium, and heavy duty trucks, trailers, and equipment. CMTTS provides maintenance service to both an internal fleet under ownership and external customers and fleets, including many local and regional businesses.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assigns all vehicle repairs to Diesel Technicians and oversees completion of repairs, while also diagnosing and handling repairs directly.
- Performs general overhaul and repair of vehicles in the shop or at off-site locations.
- Assists Diesel Technicians in diagnosing cause of any malfunction and performs general repairs to manufacturer’s specifications including engines (gasoline, diesel and propane powered), transmissions and clutches, suspension and steering, fuel and ignition, electrical systems, brakes and HVAC systems.
- Assures a valid Repair Order (RO) is written and remains with vehicle as repairs are being completed; reviews and signs off on all RO’s upon completion of work. Tests for quality assurance as needed.
- In conjunction with General Manager and Service Writer:
- Establishes preventive maintenance and care schedules for internal and external fleets.
- Arranges contract repairs when work cannot be performed in shop.
- Assures adequate inventory of parts and supplies is maintained and accounted for.
- Ensures inspections and preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment is properly conducted to maximize the safety, productivity, and life of the unit.
- Operates vehicles and equipment to aid in diagnostics; picks up and delivers vehicles and parts (may require a Class A license).
- Ensures that customers vehicles are kept clean and washed after repair is completed.
- Participates in and conducts as qualified company sponsored trainings with the goal of continued education and industry knowledge for all Diesel Technicians on staff.
- · Assures all personnel contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of the physical building and that the shop and equipment are kept clean, orderly and presentable.
- Ensures team complies with all company policies and procedures.
- Follows all safety protocols and reports any potential or existing safety concerns to General Manager and/or Safety Manager.
- Manages and participates in on-call schedule and road-side service calls.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education, Experience & Knowledge Requirements:
- Heavy duty truck (HDT) technical training and 5+ years related experience
- At least 2 years supervisory experience
- State Inspection License
- Current and valid CDL-A strongly preferred
- Interpersonal Skills
- Customer service oriented
- Proven problem solving and analytical abilities
Work is performed primarily in a maintenance shop environment; occasional field work with some travel from site to site. Exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to hazardous traffic conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces and rough terrain. Employees may be required to work extended hours, including scheduled and unscheduled evenings and weekends.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a mechanic shop environment; walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, and twist; push, pull, lift, and/or carry moderate to heavy amounts of weight (up to 75 pounds); operate assigned equipment and vehicles, and to verbally communicate to exchange information. Vision must be in the normal visual range with or without correction; hearing in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Job Type: Full-time
Submit Your Resume!
To submit your resume for this position, please fill out the required information below, attach your resume, and then click Submit!
Please note that this is only the first stage of the application process and is in no way a guarantee of employment.